Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Welcome, 2018!

In my last post, I caught up on what had been going on the second half of 2017. December was a whirlwind, as always, with the holidays in full swing and all the activities Christmas revelry entails.



Holidays, my darlings, are hard work.

That being said, I had a blast this year. Daniel and I decided to stay home and return to some of our Christmas traditions that we missed in 2016 because we traveled to be with extended family. Our nephew joined us for the festivities, and it was a sweet, cozy, quiet holiday we all three enjoyed.



And then...a New Year to ring in! 2018. Hard to believe, though I say that every single year. Sometimes, almost always, it staggers me how quickly time passes, even while I intend (and often succeed) in savoring moments so that time doesn't drag me so quickly forward.

I scribbled a poem (if we can agree that entering text into the Notes app on my iPhone can be referred to as "scribbling') on December 15th that relates to my feelings on time. Take a look:

***

Time Reflected

Time pretends
to move
at the same pace
equi-distant chase
around the empty space
between then
and now
and then again.

Time feels
like flying back and forth
among memories
and moments
and all the things you thought
you’d do and never did.

Time lies
not only between
the plans you make
and their fruition,
or hopeless lack
thereof,
but also in
the vague flash
of what happened,
and the flicker of
what could have been…


…and what is.

***

It's been a LONG time since I wrote anything remotely creative, so it's creaky, I admit. But it did feel good to have creative inspiration tug at me, even in the midst of all the hustle-bustle of holiday preparation. And I'm proud of myself for taking a couple minutes to listen to inspiration and jot down those words swirling in my mind. It's one of the ways my One Little Word--CREATE--manifested itself in real effect.

In these early days of this New Year, as 2018 gets off the ground, I am excited and full of great expectations of the year ahead.

What's going on for you in 2018?

No comments:

Post a Comment