Monday, December 31, 2012

Wrapping Up 2012


Today, I am wrapping up the year 2012.

I am thinking about what happened throughout the past twelve months. I am remembering Daniel and I celebrating the 10 years we've been married. I am remembering a lovely celebration we had for Mom, who turned 80 this year.

Those were probably the two most significant memories of 2012 for me, though there are many other memories I carry into the New Year.

As 2012 becomes history, I am thinking of what goals to set, what intentions to declare, for 2013.

Already, I selected my One Little Word of the year, which is writing, and today I've been listing specifics for that word.

I am declaring my intention to write, even if it's a few sentences, every day.

Every. Single. Day.

And I'm setting up a structure to promote that success.

I've also set up twelve topics related to writing to focus on, one per month, and I've signed up for Ali Edwards' One Little Word class over at Big Picture Classes.

Over and over again, I've said writing matters to me, and in 2013, I'm going to direct my focus toward breathing new life into the part of me that's always been, unequivocally, a writer at heart.

That doesn't mean other things won't still be a part of my life--like scrapbooking--but my attention needs to be and will be more on writing than anything else.

Because it matters to me. Because I matter.

Those are words with power.

I'm also planning to read a bit more for pleasure in the New Year. I am committing to reading a writing book and a fiction book each month. 24 books in one year probably doesn't sound like a lot, but for me, it's a lofty goal, though I think I can manage it.

I've also signed up for Cathy Zielske's wellness class at Big Picture Classes, called Move More, Eat Well. The health issues I face have been neglected in the persistent wake of high levels of stress, and I know that I can do better. Having a community and tasks and--this word again--focus on a clear intention will definitely improve those lab results, as well as how I feel day-to-day.

So as I wave goodbye to a year that was challenging and creative and trying and disappointing, as I celebrate the end of 2012 and the launch of 2013, I say, bring on the New Year.

Life is as good as we make it.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on making YOU a priority because YOU are worth it girlfriend :) I follow CZ's blog and love her MMEL segments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Mel! I know that writing is very dear to you so I'm glad to hear you're making it a priority this year. :) I hope that 2013 is FULL of blessings for you and your amazing family my friend...

    ReplyDelete