Thursday, June 13, 2019

Handmade Card Re-do Challenge

The last time I moved, I thought I gave away my box of handmade cards, but I recently discovered it in a box I was re-packing for our next move.

Going through them, I found three cards that I didn't like and challenged myself to save from recycling by re-doing them.

Card #1


What I didn't like: the splattered doily. The focal point image on this card is so lovely, and the mess behind it really detracts from it.

The card redone:



Removing the doily was the major renovation to this card. I also changed the direction of the fiber, tore the edge of the card base, and distressed the edges of the background with my scissors and some Archival ink by Ranger in Coffee.

This card simply looks better, and I'm wondering who will be its recipient...?


Card #2


What I didn't like: the dark card base with its row of stamped images and the double ribbon, the overall dark tone.

The card redone:

The first change I made was the card base, which lightens everything up considerably. Next, I added the background purple polka dot paper, which I stamped with the same stamp as the focal image with Distress ink in milled lavender.

My next addition was the striped paper strip from the same collection as the other patterned papers, which also brought some light to the design, and I adhered one length of the ribbon from the original card.

Finally, I stamped the same sentiment on a new piece of patterned paper, fussy cut and adhered it, and I like this new version so much better!


Card #3


What I didn't like: everything. The only thing I liked about this card was the pink, scallop-edged base, and I did salvage the pearl brad and the scrap of pink velvet ribbon.

The card redone:

First, I searched through my patterned paper scrap basket for a new background, one that coordinated with the ribbon scrap and brought other colors into the scheme. Next, I selected paper flowers and some buttons, along with a sentiment, and adhered everything to create a card I really like that's my favorite of the three.


A little time, a little creativity, and I have three cards I definitely like better than the originals.

No comments:

Post a Comment