Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Recommending - November 2012

Instead of doing picks of the month, at least for awhile, I'm starting a new blog series called Recommending. I'll be sharing things that I think other paper-crafters will enjoy, and to get started, I'm recommending this book by Ransom Riggs:


The author collects old photos found at flea markets and antique malls and shares those with captions written on them in this collection that includes both funny and tragic images from the past.

I liked the little bits of stories captured in each picture. I liked that it inspired my curiosity to know more. These photos appealed to the writer in me, the young woman who used to want to make up tales to tell about people seen walking in the mall or driving by in cars. The possibility of stories always captivates me.

In the afterword, we are reminded that photos should be preserved, that a great deal is lost when we lose the stories our photos tell.

The book made me want to dig through photos myself, those that are still packed in a box in the garage, those that are still in slide form that my father gave to me, and those that belonged to total strangers that are now on the shelves of antique malls and other outlets where folks sell what they no longer want.

Wouldn't it be remarkable to spend an afternoon sorting through photos in a place like that and stumble upon someone you recognize?

Find more details or purchase this book at Barnes and Noble, Amazon, or Powells. Check out the author's website, including the blog, right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment