Wednesday, September 11, 2019

The Growth of One Pumpkin - Photo Essay

As I've previously mentioned, Daniel and I bought a house in May, and it's been so nice having more space than we had in our apartment, including a large yard where we've discovered things growing.

On my way home from taking Daniel to work on August 2nd, I caught sight of great big yellow flowers I thought were growing out of the hedge along our front porch.


On closer inspection, I realized the blooms were attached to what I was pretty sure was a pumpkin vine, accidentally growing out of the hedge.

I was delighted.

A few days later, on August 6th, I was checking out the pumpkin vines and noticed this little baby had formed, a bit of pure magic, completely unexpected.




By August 11th, it was bigger and had a darker green pattern on its surface.



Six days later, it had grown a bit more and darkened.


And by August 27th, it was even bigger! I could even see the faint turning of the color to orange beginning...


...so by September 5th, it was more obviously turning that gorgeous pumpkin color.


On September 9th, most of the green was fading, and it was the size of what I've seen called "pie pumpkins" in the grocery store. Some kind of critter has been lunching on it underneath--possibly the same kind of little animal I disturbed when I was weeding the backyard garden beds?--so I won't be able to use it, even as a jack-o'-lantern, probably.

But I'm content to let it hang out on its vine, soak up the sunshine, and be a beautiful and  magical part of our yard.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely thing to find and watch grow in your new garden!

    ReplyDelete