Monday, May 19, 2014

Author's Note


I used to think about it all the time: what would be my dream job? It's a good exercise, thinking outside the box of life as it is. What might my life be like if I could do what I really, really want and get paid for it?

In the past, I came up with some elaborate fantasies. Once, I wrote about having my own publishing company and finding new, bright, creative writers who were having trouble being published elsewhere because of how difficult it is to get a foot in the door of the huge print publishing machine. I'd get to read great writing for a living and make dreams come true myself. I even described the building that would house my office and its huge picture window overlooking the ocean...

Hey, as long as I'm dreaming, right?

The real dream for me, though, the dream that will always remain at the top of the list is to be the author. Writing is my heartbeat, my anchor, my purpose in this life. It always has been, and I think it always will be.

Though my writing life has gotten a bit stale in the past few years, with the harsh realities of life interfering with my best intentions, I still want that dream, and the good news is, I don't have to wait on anybody else to make that dream a reality.

***
Part of the Blog Every Day in May Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment