Thursday, April 11, 2019

Scrapbook Page Re-do - What I Wear

Once in awhile, when I'm paging through my scrapbooks, I come across a page I don't like. For one reason or another, usually poor design or color choices that no longer appeal to me, I experience a gentle cringing at my own work. Most of the time, I accept that pages I don't like are part of my scrapbooking journey, but sometimes, I just want a re-do.

Here is a page I created in 2012, and a couple weeks ago, as I was looking through my Story of Me scrapbook, I decided it needed to be redone.


What I don't like:

1. The color scheme--I like that turquoise/teal color in small doses, but on this page, it's too overpowering for my taste.

2. The style of the patterned paper and embellishments doesn't match the story, and that bothers me.

3. The word "day" in the title is too far beneath the word "typical," which I find distracting. I just want to scoot it up, and of course...I can't.

When I set out to re-do a page, I try to salvage some of the original, but with this one, I simply couldn't make that work and wound up starting over with only the photo and journaling.

Flipping through the spring 2019 issue of Scrapbook and Cards Today magazine, I came across this wonderful layout from Nicole Nowosad, and I thought it would be a great design to scraplift for my new page.


What a beautiful, well-designed page, right?

Here is the page I made from that inspiration:


So much better than the original.

I love the navy in the patterned paper and die cuts (I realize it looks more like charcoal or black in the photo, but it's navy.) because those tones coordinate with the colors in the photo. I had plenty of room to copy my journaling, though I admit, I did edit a little bit, and I did crop my photo down to 3 by 4 inches.

The design is better, and the whole feeling of the supplies I used is more casual, less formal. Most of the supplies are from Pinkfresh Studios, which is rapidly becoming a favorite manufacturer of mine.

Obviously, I don't have the time or interest to re-do every scrapbook page I did when I was teaching myself how to scrapbook. Those early layouts not only document the stories they tell, but also my process as a scrapbooker.

However, I'm really glad that I chose to recreate this page. When I see it in my scrapbook, I will smile, rather than cringe.

To see another scrapbook page re-do from July of 2018, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment