Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Wild Hair Colors

In June of 2018, in honor of turning 50, I had my hair colored with multiple "fashion colors," what I called "mermaid hair."


Sure, I'd had my hair colored before, since about 2007, but this was the first time I'd done something so wild.

And I loved it.

I even loved when the colors faded over the next month, looking like this:


And I got a lot of compliments, more than probably ever before, especially from the younger set.

Many times, when I pulled up to the window at Starbucks, the young person handing me my mocha would say, "I love your hair!"

Fall was a busy time for me, so I didn't get back to the salon until December, and my sweet and talented stylist pepped up the fade (and covered the grey), so I was all set for the holidays.


In February, she went a different direction, and I was delighted with the purple!


Purple is my favorite color, and every time I looked in the mirror, it made me smile to see my purple hair.

Unfortunately, purple fades more quickly than the other colors, and that might've been helped along by a dirty bird one day at the park that made me have to wash my hair with very hot water three times in a row.

Insert appropriate emoji here.

Yesterday, I went back to mermaid hair, and I think my stylist really outdid herself.


I love it. I really, really love it.

What's interesting is that when I was a teenager, I loved wild things, but I don't think I would ever have colored my hair wild colors like these, even if it had dawned on me that it was possible.

Now, at 50, it feels so authentically me to have my hair like this.

And I love being authentically me most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment